Thursday, January 11, 2007

Live in an Understanding Way

Tonight in the study on 1 Peter that meets in the home I share with my patient wife, the 1 Peter gang looked at chapter 3 verses 1-7. There is a lot there to study concerning God's instruction for wives to be submissive to their husbands and about whether a woman should be primarily concerned with cultivating a beautiful face or a beautiful spirit (to put it crudely).
Peter devotes 6 verses of instruction to wives and just one verse of instruction to husbands. Does that mean we get off easy fellas? Say it with me - by no means! Read Verse 7:

"Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered." (ESV)

What does it mean for a man to live with his wife in an understanding way? Partly it seems, is to live as if you understand that she is the weaker vessel. How shall I show honour to my wife as the weaker vessel? I think it starts by thanking God for the fact that she is fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14), she was knit together by God in her mother's womb (Psalm 139:13) and that body is now a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19). If i keep in mind that her body is crafted by God, I will be less likely to be frustrated when she is tired or sick or both. What does it look like to honour my wife as the weaker vessel?


  1. I should be quick to do physical chores
  2. I should be the one who sacrifices sleep if one of us has to
  3. I should be aware of her schedule: when she has long days and lots to do I should seek to help out more around the apartment and make sure we get to bed in good time
  4. *Any ideas from readers?*

Why does my wife deserve to be honoured by me? Since she is an heir with me of the grace of life. I don't think Peter is talking about God's common grace that goes to all people (as in Matthew 5:45) but about his special grace by which God draws sinners to Himself, takes out their heart of stone and gives them a heart of flesh. Erika is my wife, but she is also my sister in Christ, a fellow child of the Living God.

What else does it mean to live in an understanding way? I should understand that my duty and joy is to love my wife as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her! (Ephesians 5:25)

If I do not live with my wife in an understanding way and show honour to her as the weaker vessel, what will happen? My prayers will be hindered. Not treasuring my wife as i ought to leads to strife and discord, and this verse tells me that I will have trouble praying as a result. To be honest, I don't know why that is. I know what it feels like and I know that it happens (much more than I care to admit) but I don't quite understand the connection. *Any thoughts folks?*

Also, here is an interesting thought on 1 Peter 3:6 from Dan Phillips of the Pyromaniacs

2 comments:

Jerry said...

- Seek to take the lead in doing the hard things... especially the things we find rather "unnatural" to do as guys (ie. talk feelings, apologize). That's what Piper told me this afternoon, anyways. I'll take his word for it.


As for prayers being hindered, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps that finds its root in the whole reality of spouses becoming individuals who are part of a hybrid identity; "one flesh" (Genesis 2:24). Because of this, the wife becomes in very essence a part of the husband. Therefore discord between the two creates a rift in his person which exists not only in the obvious mental/physical plane but also in the spiritual. Furthermore, as marriage is a picture of Christ's relationship with the Church, and Christ certainly does not waver or cease to understand or give himself for the Church... breakdown within marriage in a sense then may mar the greater reality that marriage represents.

So, put the two together and I might have just hit an answer, maybe. It's heavy stuff, but I really enjoyed tonight's discussion.

Paul Lawton said...

great point jerry, i had thoughts about being "one flesh" going around in my mind, but i wasn't quite sure how to link it up with the subject at hand.