Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Depravity Pt. 2

I thought I should share my thoughts on the quote I posted yesterday. Here's the question again:

"If God were off of his throne... and you were standing there and you knew that you could seize the throne of heaven and God could do nothing about it, would you do it?"

I heard the question in a 9Marks interview with Iain Murray which I linked to in yesterday's post. I really didn't think anything of it at the time, the fellas in the interview didn't spend much time on it and soon after it was said they went on to discussing what ails modern evangelicalism. As I was sitting on the bus later that day, the question came to my mind again. As I considered the situation I came to the realization very quickly that if it were not for the spirit of God that dwells in me I would most certainly take God's place! To have all the power, glory and honour that belongs to God for myself is very attractive, it seems to my flesh almost irresistible. What a disgusting, repugnant thought. I was awash in feelings of shame in that moment when I realized in greater measure than ever before the depth of my depravity. It seems to me that there are two major reasons why taking God's throne is horrendous.

One, I do not have the capacity, knowledge or moral perfection to rule over the universe as God does, it is a terrible thought to think of a sinful man ruling over the universe as its sovereign. Also, I do not deserve the praise and honour that is due to God, I am a sinner, one who does no good. I am infinitely unworthy of such adulation. I do not deserve to be in God's place.

Two, and worst of all I think: I would be denying God His rightful place as supreme ruler and sovereign Lord of the universe. By my taking His "position" I would be relegating God to secondary status, the one who is infinitely deserving of praise and worship. The One who upholds the universe by the word of His power, the One who always does right, the One who brought all things into being and accomplishes all things that His perfect will purposes to do. In my pride, greed and selfishness I would commit "cosmic treason" I would deny the Holy living God what He rightly deserves, the place of supreme importance in the universe.

Natural men are enemies to the dominion of God; and their nature shows their good-will to dethrone him if they could! Yea, they are enemies to the being of God, and would be glad if there was no God. And therefore it necessarily follows, that they would cause that there should be none, if they could. Psal. xiv. 1. “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.” This implies, not only an aptness to question the being of God; but, that he inclines it should be so. His heart says, i. e. his inclination says. The words in the original are, “The fool hath said in his heart, No God.” That is, I would have none, I do not desire any, I wish there was none; that would suit my inclination best. Let the world be emptied of a God, he stands in my way.

Jonathan Edwards. Men Naturally are God's Enemies. Works Volume II pg. 321

When I realize the depth of my depravity, I am that much more cognizant of the sweetness of divine grace, whereby God has redeemed me and reconciled me to Himself by the atoning work on the cross of His only son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

I have never, until just now, seen or heard the word Cognizant. I will now use it regularly.

...and of course, excellent thoughts on depravity (if thoughts of depravity can be considered "excellent" as opposed to "sobering to the extreme" or "mortifying").

Thanks for both.