Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Authority of Personal Revelation vs. the Authority of the Bible

This is a topic I have been thinking a lot about lately, and I don't have my thoughts together enough to really write on it yet. However, I wanted to share a quote that has been going around the blogosphere lately from Jay Bakker (son of Jim and Tammy Faye) a church planter in the US. Here is an example of what can happen when we give ultimate authority to our own "personal revelations" from God.

"The more I follow grace, the more I'm drawn to him [God], the more I'm willing to stand up for people being persecuted," says Jay today. "This sounds so churchy, but I felt like God spoke to my heart and said '[homosexuality] is not a sin.'"

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ESV:

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

 

Link: Empire of the Son

4 comments:

Todd said...

I read the article. I was sort of stunned. Especially the last line. "I want to be like Jesus, but I think I want to be like Jamie first." Kinda twisted. When the Bible speaks of a time when people will seek after doctrines which "scratch the ear" its not pulling punches.

Stevie B said...

I too have been reading a little bit about Jay Bakker's ministry, and definitely appreciate what he's trying to do, but something is missed when we contradict specific scripture in order to love the sinner and hate the sin. I'm sure his "revelation" is merely a misguided attempt to reach out to everyone no matter what the background. It's too bad that he believes something not to be sin the Bible says IS.

Jerry said...

Yeah, I read that and I nearly lost my mouthful of water onto my keyboard.

Looking forward to the soon coming thoughts.

Unknown said...

Well look who has a blog..good to hear your thoughts Paul, we'll talk to you Sunday or something.