Saturday, May 26, 2007

Westminster Shorter Catechism Question 3

Click here for the introductory post to this series.

Q. What do the Scriptures principally teach?

A. The Scriptures principally teach, what man is to believe concerning God,e and what duty God requires of man.f

Things to consider:

Since the Bible principally teaches us what to believe about God and what we are to do in light of this information, it is appropriate when we are reading a passage of Scripture to modify the answer and turn it into a question: What does this passage teach me about God, and What does God require of me?

This is an extremely valuable thing to do because it gets us our creed; what we believe God is like and our conduct; how we should live. Oftentimes we emphasize one aspect over the other, keeping these questions in mind will help us avoid that.

 

p.s. foot update:

Well, it's been a week and I am still on crutches and unable to keep my foot down in a normal position for very long. I'm starting to think it may be a while before I recover! On the bright side, Erika will be back from visiting her parents soon, so I will be able to spend some of my recovery time with her!

2 comments:

Jerry said...

I'm suspecting that her presence will speed your recovery tenfold.

...news at eleven.

Blake Bradley said...

Hey Pauly, thanks for reading so far. How are things going? You aren't really updating the blog too much.

Yeah, I'm really really enjoying Piper now. I remember a time when I told you that I didn't really enjoy him. That's changed! :)

Talk to you soon, brother