Monday, May 14, 2007

The Westminster Shorter Catechism

Greetings to my loyal readers, I hope that there are still some of you out there! As you may have noticed, I have not blogged in quite a while. So, what would be the best way to get back on the horse? Perhaps some light fare, a personal update or some links maybe. Hogwash! Instead, I've decided to start a series of posts on the Westminster Shorter Catechism. Today, by way of introduction I will provide some background information.

What is a catechism? 

Simply put, a catechism is a series of questions and answers designed to be memorized in order to internalize particular truths.

What is the Westminster Catechism?

The WC was written by the assembly of divines (men schooled in Divinity) at Westminster, UK which met regularly between 1643 and 1649. There was a Larger and a Shorter catechism written, the Shorter seems to be the one which is read and memorized most widely today. Each answer is accompanied by proofs from Scripture, which I will include in my posts.

Why is the WSC important?

Erika and I have decided to try memorize the 107 questions and answers for our own edification and also to be able to catechize (yes, it can be used as a verb!) our children (should the Lord bless us in that way). Quite simply, the WSC is an unsurpassed collection of Biblical doctrine that has been taught, memorized and loved by Christians for more than three centuries.

My plan is to blog one Catechism question every day (or every other day maybe) and attempt to add some thoughts as well. Tune in tomorrow for question one!

The Westminster Standards... are the richest and most precise and best guarded statement ever penned of all that enters into evangelical religion, and of all that must be safeguarded if evangelical religion is to persist in the world.

B B Warfield

1 comment:

Todd said...

Your chatechistic style has got me hooked for next week!