Sunday, May 20, 2007

Westminster Shorter Catechism Question 2

Click here for the introductory post to this series.

Q. What rule hath God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him?

A. The Word of God, which is contained in the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments,c is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him.d

Things to consider:

The question is what rule has God given us to direct our worship. The word rule means regulation or procedure, it implies that God has something to say in the matter and that he is not vague!

And as the answer, what could be better a better rule than the very Word of God? His direct revelation to us in a medium we can comprehend. God condescended to reveal Himself to His creatures in such a simple way, what a God! Furthermore the catechism points out that this is the only rule. The postmodern relativist that lurks just below the surface in me recoils at such a thought. What about my feeling? What about my ideas? They must be subjugated to the Word.   

 

p.s. I would appreciate prayer for a quick recovery, I tore some ligaments in my ankle playing basketball. It's swelled up like a grapefruit right now, and I'm stuck in Mississauga at my parents house - which is a great place to be in this state actually.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Sports injuries trump computer gaming injuries, dear friend. I hope your recovery is swift. We should play ball sometime.