Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Encouragement from Whitefield

Well, to anyone who still checks this poor excuse for a blog: kudos on your faithfulness! Your reward shall be a gem gleaned from the journals of George Whitefield, which I am reading for a paper on the Great Awakening.

I now began, like them [the early Methodists], to live by rule, and to pick up the very fragments of my time, that not a moment of it might be lost. Whether I ate or drank, or whatsoever I did, I endeavored to do all to the glory of God. Like them, having no weekly sacrament, although the Rubric required it, at our own college, I received every Sunday at Christ Church. I joined with them in keeping the stations by fasting Wednesdays and Fridays and left no means unused, which I thought would lead me nearer to Jesus Christ.

Left no means unused, which I thought would led me nearer to Jesus Christ. What a glorious thing to be able to say about one's own life! Friend do what you can today to draw nearer to the Lord Jesus Christ, redeem the time.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

I can't say I've been checking in, Bloglines checks in for me.

That being said, thanks for the challenge. I've been experimenting a bit with fasting lately... it's something I did quite a bit almost 7 years ago now, and it's something I'm trying to work back into life. Our food-saturated culture makes it quite difficult, not to mention how excellent food is as a fellowship-aggregator.

Difficult, not impossible. Jesus says "WHEN you fast..." not "IF you fast...", and that's our challenge.